Serves 2-3 | 15 mins Preperation | 8 mins Cooking | 30 mins Marinading |
Chicken Karaage is a traditional Japanese fried chicken. Juicy and tender inside and very crispy outside. So quick and easy to make you’ll never order the greasy rubbish KFC again!
- 500g Boneless chicken thighs
- 25g ginger – grated
- 1 clove garlic – crushed
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Sake (I just use cane vinegar instead of this)
- 1tbsp salt
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- Cut each thigh into 3 or 4 pieces, depending on the size
- In a large bowl mix together the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sake/vinegar and salt. Add the chicken and mix well. leave to marinade for atleast 30 minutes
- Mix the flour and cornflour together in a bowl. Take the marinated chicken pieces and coat in the flour mixture, make sure the chicken is fully coated in the flour mix.
- Deep fry the chicken in hot oil (180-190c) for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. you may have to do this in batches. Drain the chicken in kitchen paper or on a rack while you cookthe rest
You can also cook this in an air fryer.
You can start experimenting by adding dried herbs and spices to the flour mix
Serve with some lemon mayonaise to dip