Serves 2 | 40 mins cooking | 10 mins preparation
Single large pieces of pork belly are not always available in the supermarket or they have already been smothered in some sort of sauce so for those times I compromise and use pork belly slices. the cooking process is largely the same for doing a full piece of pork belly just with an extra step in preparation.
- 750g Pork belly slices – 1.5 cm thick
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and place your pork belly slices into the water, bring back to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove and drain the pork belly slices.
- Thread skewers through the pork belly slices, aligning the skin side to the same level.
- Pierce the skin all over, lots of little holes, with a skewer or fork.
- Place the pork in the fridge, uncovered, ideally leave overnight or atleast for 2-3 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c.
- Sprinkle the skin side of the pork with a little salt and place into the oven for 25 minutes
- If the skin needs crisping up a little more place under a hot grill for a couple minutes, be careful not to burn as it will go very quickly
- Remove the pork and pull out the skewers and serve
You can use this crispy pork belly however you like, cut into bitesize pieces and stir-fried in a sauce, whole served with mash and gravy or my favourite served cut into bite size pieces with a spicy soy and vinegar dipping sauce served with rice and some stir fried vegetables in oyster sauce.