Makes 12-16 | 25 mins cooking | 35 mins preparation
Soft delicate fluffy mamon with a hint of cream cheese
- 100g cream cheese
- 70g butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 7 egg yolks
- 7 egg whites
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4tsp lemon juice
- Place the cream cheese, butter, oil and milk in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk occasionally until the butter and cream cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth. Let it cool.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and mix until smooth.
- Pre heat the oven to 180c
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy, add in the lemon juice and continue whisking until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar in small amounts while whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, a third of the whites at a time. The final mixture should be a uniform colour.
- Spoon the mixture into large muffin moulds in a muffin tray.
- Place the muffin tray in a baking tray and fill the baking tray with water until 1/3 of the way up the muffin tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the mamon comes out clean.
- Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar, let the mamon sit inside the oven for three minutes.
- Take the mamon out and allow to cool on a wire rack
Other flavours of mamon can be made